How to eat wisley

Ana María Clemente 

The ‘health craze’ is stronger than ever, but there are some foods that will never go out of style.

It’s been three years since the United Nations declared 2013 as the International Year of Quinoa. The following year was teff’s (a cereal grown in Ethiopia) turn and, later on, kale made it into every single health and beauty article published in 2015. So, now what? Should we turn whatever ‘miracle’ food with a weird and hard-to-pronounce name we can come up with into the latest trend? Or shall we just stop creating food hypes and go for what has been scientifically proven? In the meantime, the FAO is celebrating 2016 as the International Year of Pulses…

A recent health trend is ruling and changing the way we eat nowadays. It is common to find ingredients that purify our bodies in less time than we actually need to digest them. There are also more organic and flexitarian restaurants than ever—flexitarians base their diet on mix & match, meaning that 80% of their intake is from a vegetable origin and the remaining 20% is from animal origin—and businesses specializing in products containing a high density of nutrients. Or what some would like to call: ‘superfoods’. But what does this term really mean? “Media, as well as some food and agriculture companies, have introduced this term into our lives to give importance to products with a nutritional value that’s very beneficial to our health,” explains nutritionist María Garriga García (Ph.D).

Nevertheless, “the problem comes when these ‘superfoods’ are attributed with ‘miraculous’ properties that aren’t backed up by studies with rigorous scientific evidence; besides rejecting other foods that are just as healthy but haven’t achieved this designation.” Our bodies need macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins and fats) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) in a certain amount of quantities per day, depending on each individual’s age, sex, state of health, or disease. On the other hand, those that are harmful need to be reduced. What’s the best advice? Listening to our own body, emotions and digestion is the way to become our very own nutritionist: a theory focused on bio individuality and in which Alejandra Fraile, Health Coach at the Institute of Integrative Nutrition in New York and author of the blog yomemimo.com, believes in. “Our next door neighbor’s medicine could be our poison, so we need to stop and think before jumping into a void and start listening to our bodies. Trends need to be ignored because we have a new one every day. It’s insane! No wonder there are so many people who fail to reach their goal when following a new trendy diet,” she comments. That is why it is important to include foods in our diet that come straight from the soil instead of a can, as well as fresh and seasonable fruits and vegetables. They preserve their properties (taste, smell, color and texture) and also provide us with the right nutrients for every season. Plus, they are much more affordable.

So, to avoid future headaches every time you visit the supermarket and/or health food store, we’ve put together a list of the 10 foods—which are neither super, mega or have any sort of prefix—that should always be in your grocery bag. Go ahead, turn the page over.

Kiwi

The king of Vitamin C

We all know man is a creature of habits. Nevertheless, he sure knows how to adapt to change. So here’s something to take into consideration: How about replacing the classic orange juice for kiwi? This fruit from a Chinese origin has twice the vitamin C content than normal orange juice, making it considered one of the healthiest fruits out there. And that’s not all.  Kiwis are also an ally in fighting hypertension, burning calories and boosting the immune system. Eating two a day will improve your health and skin’s radiance, plus it will also help with your cholesterol levels. So, it’s up to you.

PUBLICIDAD



PUBLICIDAD